TV advertising is a great way to expand your brand’s reach and grow your customer base. However, knowing where to start when the time comes can be overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be. There are many factors to consider. Choose the station which best speaks to your target audience, then decide on the days, times, and channels in which your ad will air. By following the points below, you’ll have a better understanding of where to begin your TV advertising journey.
Know What You Want to Advertise
The first place to start is to know what your advertisement is going to be featuring.
- Are you advertising a sale or promotion? Sales promotions are an effective strategy for bringing in new business and fast. A branding campaign helps to establish long-term customers. Either are great ways to attract potential customers. However, sales promotions focus on attracting repeat customers when they see they can purchase a favored product for less.
- Are you introducing a new product or service? This type of ad serves as an information piece of marketing allowing you to showcase the latest and greatest from your brand.
- Are you moving locations? While you might not be promoting a product or service here, you want to make sure you are providing your audience with all of the important details they need to know about the location of your store. This is a great time to think about Grand Re-Opening or other time sensitive promotions.
- Are you wanting to simply advertise your business to become top-of-mind? A branding campaign is a great way to build a long-term customer base. When you constantly advertise over a long period of time, you’re also helping to build the overall awareness of your brand which can help your business remain top-of-mind to consumers.
Once you’ve decided on the premise of your advertisement, now begin to think about what it will look like; who’s involved, where it's filmed, how you will get your point across, and more.
Know Your Target Audience
Before you get too deep in the planning of your commercial, you need to know exactly who you are speaking to and what will catch their attention. Consumers want to feel represented in ads making it easier to relate. When you understand the audience, you’re able to represent those consumers in the advertisement itself, helping the message resonate on a personal level.
- Who is your audience? In order to target the right people, you need to know who they are -- their age, where they’re located, their demographics, etc.
- What channels are they watching? The channels and programs your target audience is tuning into are directly correlated to their demographics and interests. Getting to know your consumers and where they are, can assist in ensuring your ad is viewed by the people you're trying to reach.
- When do they watch TV? Knowing when your target audience is watching TV is almost as important as what they’re watching. Not only do you want your ads airing on the correct station, but you want them to run at the time your target audience could be watching that channel.
When you’re in tune with your audience and their viewing habits, you’re able to have a better understanding of who you’re talking to and how to reach them. Working with KCTV5 means you have the most up-to-date data and information regarding your target audience. It’s important to know this information before you start advertising so that you’re able to make your decisions based on those who you’re trying to reach to ensure your ad dollars are well spent.
Have Your Goals in Mind
Now it’s time to determine the goals of your advertisement.
- Are you wanting to build brand awareness? Some advertisements simply want to build brand awareness and increase their target consumer’s knowledge of their company. These TV ads can show your business at work, introduce the consumers to faces of the business, or even just provide them with important information that can help them get to know you better. When consumers are familiar with your brand, you have a chance of remaining top-of-mind.
- Are you trying to increase sales? If your main goal is to boost sales, focus the ad on your current sales promotion or best-selling items. By offering the consumer a deal, a freebie, or rewards incentive, it can entice new customers and encourage current customers to return.
- Do you want to build a social media following? Social media is a great way to stay connected with your audience on a regular basis. Through real-time interaction and engagement, you are building your brand. If your goal is to increase your social media audience, your TV ads should direct consumers to your social media channels. These types of advertisements are great to air on TV during times in which you don’t have a current sale or promotion
- Are you looking to increase foot traffic? The most common goal of TV advertisements is bringing people into your store. These types of ads feature exclusive promotions which are only offered at your brick and mortar. This is an excellent way to increase store traffic.
Find the Right Media Partner
When it comes time to start looking into producing a TV advertisement, you will be searching for the right media partner. KCTV5 has access to your target audience plus the knowledge and experience to reach them in the best way. We guide you through the process of creating your commercial from start to finish.
Not only will KCTV5 help handle the creative, but additionally assist in making sure that your budget aligns with your goals. Media companies with their client’s best interest at heart are honest and transparent when it comes to budget in terms of meeting the client’s expectations. They help you to decide on the best options based on your goals and what your budget allows. It’s not always about getting ‘the best deal,’ as it is about making sure that the client is investing the right amount so they are able to see the results they want from their television advertisement.